The Whole Story

So, I've been getting asked a lot about what exactly happened to my back, and I thought I'd write a more descriptive post detailing what happened. Near the end of my pregnancy with Grahm in 2007, my back hurt whenever I would sit on the floor. I had to constantly adjust myself if I ever sat on the floor when I played with Belle. Eventually, I had to stop doing that because it hurt too much.

The pain went away eventually and then started back up when I was pregnant with Casey in 2008. I figured it was just the extra strain I put on my back from being pregnant, so I was more careful this time around. Unfortunately, one morning after getting out of the shower, I fell to the floor in so much pain and was unable to get up. I went to physical therapy, bought one of those belly support bands, and walked. It really helped and I was feeling a lot better by the time Casey was born in August.

Now, fast forward to this year. My back was actually feeling pretty great, but I just had very little flexibility. I could deal with that. My back was hurting back in February, but I just went back to the exercises and it helped. And unfortunately, that let us know that my back problems don't just appear when I'm pregnant, like they had in the past. They were starting to happen during every day life.

Over the fourth of July weekend, I slept with Isabelle on the futon up at the cottage for two nights. After the first night, I was a little sore but the pain went away by the afternoon. I don't know if I slept funny or if I was laying on a bar or what happened, but when I woke up the second day I felt awful! And to make it worse, we went to a parade that morning and then had a long car ride home. So when all that mixed together, I was feeling pretty crummy by the end of the day. I tried working on the exercises that had worked the previous year, but they were not working this time around. So, I went back to the physical therapist's office and they were trying different exercises with me that were actually working.

But last Wednesday, without thinking, I jumped up off the couch because Casey was crawling toward a small sticker on the floor and I didn't want him putting it in his mouth. Doing that strained my back again and I had to start all over with my exercises at physical therapy. But nothing was helping and I felt like I was getting worse. On Friday morning, I woke up with an extremely stiff back and was having a hard time even being able to carry Casey. After breakfast, I closed my door, put a show on for the kids, and sat Casey on the floor so I could lay down. But once I laid down, I wasn't able to get back up without excrutiating pain. My lower back kept having spasms and it wouldn't stop.

I went to the physical therapist who then told me to go to the ER because of all the pain I was in. After giving me some pain medication, the ER set me up for an appointment to have an MRI done Tuesday (today). Tomorrow my doctor is taking time out of his lunch to meet with me about the results. Hopefully it's an easy fix and nothing that requires surgery.

So for the past few days I've mostly been laying in bed with occassionaly walking around or sitting. Thankfully my mom has been around to help out with the kids, and Chris has been a tremendous help as well. He even did three loads of laundry! Now is that a great husband, or what? Chris' mom, grandparents, and aunt and uncle have all helped as well. It is so nice to have family around, especially when things like this happen.

I hope I answered everyone's questions. If not, feel free to either email me or leave a comment. Otherwise, I'll be sure to post about the MRI results tomorrow.

No comments: